By Lauren Gerrie
“I love this base because I can use it in so many different ways: One meal, I’ll keep the mixture on the thicker side and toss it with fresh pasta topped with chopped hazelnuts and a drizzle of olive oil. The next, I can thin it out and add a dollop of homemade coconut yogurt and fresh herbs.”
1 lb. bag organic baby carrots
3 to 4 tsp. freshly grated ginger
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1. Fill a medium-size pot with water and bring it to a boil over high heat. Salt the water generously. This is where we first add flavour.
2. Add the baby carrots and cook until fork-tender, about 20 minutes, then strain them over a bowl to keep the cooking liquid.
3. Place the cooked carrots in a Vitamix, or other high-powered blender, and add freshly grated ginger, coconut oil, and 1/2 cup of cooking liquid.
4. Carefully begin blending by starting at the lowest levels, then work your way up. Place a towel over the top opening to prevent hot liquid from coming out.
5. Add more water if you desire a more broth-like soup. Less water will yield a thicker, richer soup. You can also add more coconut oil, if you’d like a thick, velvety puree, though the soup may solidify in the fridge.
6. Add additional salt to taste.
TEL: 1. 877. 402. 3221.